Sunday, July 25, 2010

Can Somebody Tell Me How to Tell If a Franchise Has Staying Power or Just a Fad???

I was just at the Blue Wave Macapagal Ave area and after my lunch meeting and on the way out, I noticed that the Ice Monster big kiosk was closed. I used to remember the long lines at the Greenbelt Foodcourt and how my daughter loved the product.

Scanning the Sulit Online ads, I now see a lot of ads for Ice Scramble specifically Scramble King and ILoveScramble and there are comments about who copied who. Icebreaker Scramble it seems is the Market Leader and first Scramble franchisor with 33 branches in the Top Malls in Manila. These seem to be a variation of the scramble I saw when I was in Tarlac selling for P5 a small dixie cup but the latter was just ice and some beans and syrups.

Ice Scramble is a lot cheaper than Ice Monster. Will Ice Scramble best Ice Monster?

And how about the soft serve ice cream? There were a lot of them before at P5/cone. I seem to remember seeing this Jungle something Soft-serve at Galeria with a Gorilla-like booth and there were long lines then.Now they are gone replaced by another foodcart. Its seems its just Snowpy and Miguelito as the more prominent brands left.

My concern is how to tell if the franchise you are buying is going to last the test of time like donuts????

1 comment:

  1. Richard,

    Thanks for the comments :-)

    For your question fad or not?.... humm... its hard to tell, hardest is to keep your presence to the market. Icebreaker has been around for 2 years, we just lately entered SM for the simple "stupid" reason: I was scared that SM would reject my application since its a street food. It took me almost a year to secure strategic locations: the lower ground floor of SM north, SM fairview, 3rd floor of SM Manila, main atrium of Rob nova, SM north's sky garden terminal.... halos lahat yan ni-secure ko muna yung locations before ko pinagbubuksan buksan - as I know na madaming magiging copycats once the product has been "out" in the market... thank God, everything is falling into place.

    Fad or not? I think as long as the product can transform into the current market needs. Jollibee tried to introduce chicken bbq coz of the threat of Mang Inasal :-)

    ReplyDelete

Use the Comment Section to request for further information when available or to let me know what you think of the above post. Thank You So Much.