Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yuppie Market presents The Scramble Clone Wars

courtesy of lucas films

If my post title sounds Luke Skywalker-ish, it is because I am a Star Wars fan and I especially liked the original versions--Star Wars, the Empire Strikes Back.

During the WOFEX 2010, there is this company called Ferna Corporation, a supplier of food ingredients. I understand from the Ferna Saleperson that they can provide the food ingredients to make your own Zagu or Scramble. In fact she showed me a bag of strawberry powder.

courtesy of ferna corporation
Chef Ronald of the Ferna Morning show was on hand fielding questions from a big crowd of would-be small business owners about products to sell using Ferna's food ingredients.

courtesy of ferna
(Ferna's range of products from soft serve ice cream --think Mr softy, etc, shake powder -- think Zagu?, and other food powders-- Do-It-Yourself Scramble)

While it can be said that there is nothing like getting the original franchise (Icebreaker Scramble, Buzzbox Scramble, Scramble King) as presumably they have the system in place, some questions come to mind:

1. Wont the Scramble buyers get so tired with seeing so many brands of scrambles (both good-taste and bland-taste)?

2. Since Scramble has basic components, can't outfits like Ferna concoct the taste of any Scramble-type and copy it in a way that the customer can no longer differentiate? (Filipinos are known to be good copycats OUCH!)

3. Packaging will spell the difference but as I wrote in a previous blog post, Icebreaker Scramble and Scramble King have similar product and packaging appearances (http://wp.me/pBaHK-9F)

4. From the side of the cannot-afford small business owner, does it make business-sense to forgo the P200,000 franchise fee and have Ferna make your own Scramble and then, get a professional printer with a good graphic artist create a drop-dead bad-ass kind of packaging to wow the scramble crowd?

I might be inclined to get the Market leader of the Scramble craze based on taste, market reach which correlates to market promotion, quality of organization, efficiency of logistics and lastly, profit margin for me.

It is no easy thing to make your own product and brand but what if you cannot swing the high cost of entry of the franchisor?


I hope you guys reading this can send me your comments. See ya! http://wp.me/pBaHK-9F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use the Comment Section to request for further information when available or to let me know what you think of the above post. Thank You So Much.