Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Small Business Owner's Nightmare: Yikes!!! My Landlord Did Not Renew My Lease. He Wants My Business!!!!

courtesy of starpulse.com

When my friend decided to set-up his own PCSO Lotto Outlet somewhere East of Manila, he did not think there would be any problems when he rented a space in the house of his landlord.

After all, for the past 2 years relations with his landlord were quiet though the business was not really doing well. Then, business started to pick-up and when the Lotto Jackpot hit P347 Million about a year ago, lines started to form outside his small Lotto outlet. It was a time to rejoice but little did he know this was the start of his problems.

You see, when it came time to renew his lease, he was surprised when his landlord told him he will not be renewind the Lease as he needed the space. Then, my friend discovered that the very same landlord applied with the PCSO for a Lotto outlet at the very spot where he was located and he hit the ceiling!!

The good thing is that my friend holds the Contract of Agency for the Lotto Outlet in that area and nobody can set-up another Lotto Outlet unless he cancels his Contract.

To cut the story short, my friend still has his lotto outlet but now pays a higher rent. A Happy Ending but not exactly.

For all small business owners, how often do we feel that we at the mercy of our landlords???? One Lotto customer told me that the only to do business is to own the land where your business sits on but WHAT IF WE CANNOT AFFORD TO BUY THE LAND?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use the Comment Section to request for further information when available or to let me know what you think of the above post. Thank You So Much.