Monday, May 16, 2011

Globe Telecom: How to Hurt Your 14-year Loyal Subscriber & Why Sun is Number 1 Among Postpaid Subscribers

image courtesy of Globe Telecom
The past weeks I read on the Inq Print about Globe asking the Phil govt to review (and hopefully block) the merger between PLDT and Digitel (Sun)on Anti-trust issues.  Previous to that, Globe protested the claim of Digitel (Sun) that Sun now has the most number of postpaid subscribers.

May I suggest to Mr. Ernest Cu, Top Boss of Globe Telecom,  that rather than complain about the changing Telecom Market, Globe should instead focus on improving its Customer Service especially in the manner it treats its long-time subscribers like me.
Image courtesy of PLDT

Image courtesy of Digitel Mobile
                                                                              I have been a Globe Postpaid subscriber for more than 14 years and I remembered when I applied that Globe touted the benefits of GSM and in fact, most AB market and businesses were using Globe as being the professional thing to do.  Last November, 2010, I was happy that Globe included the Iphone 4 in its Postpaid Loyalty Awards program and I promptly placed an order with Globe's SM North EDSA office.  After not hearing from them for 5 months, I went to the SM North EDSA office today to do a personal follow-up.  The supervisor, told me to line-up at the single-transaction Expresslane.  The expresslane had 3 counters but only 1 was manned and that lady stepped out to attend to something.  After waiting quite a while, I told the supervisor that she should do something about improving the service especially in the light of the PLDT-Sun Combine. 

The supervisor told me that I can air my complaint on their 211 Hotline Phone. I then told her how difficult it is to get thru the Globe Hotline and she nodded her head in agreement.  I then told her "why then are you telling me to call the hotline when you yourself also know how difficult it is to contact the Hotline. You should be the one to tell your boss about the problem."

Finally, the lady on the counter came back and I told her I just want to check the status of my Iphone 4 order.  She then said my order was cancelled as my request had already lapsed. The requests are lapsed if no stock had been allocated for the Loyalty program. 

I noticed a slip of paper on the counter that listed the inventory of phones at the branch and it showed that for May 16, 2011, there were 80pcs of Iphone4 16gb and 40pcs for 32gb and I really thought I was going to get my Iphone already. According to the lady at the counter, the stocks are for the walk-ins. 

I find it strange that Globe would be more willing to serve the new walk-ins and not a 14 year-old subscriber.  I felt so hurt to say the least.  It makes me believe even more the claim of Sun of having more postpaid subscribers.

Image courtesy of Sun Cellular/Digitel
I think Sun is where they are now  on the top of mind with postpaid subscribers is because they came out with a superior product and service package.  When they started, they did not complain about the duopoly of Smart and Globe but instead thought of offering a better package, period.  I did not hear Liberty Telecom (WiTribe)  complain despite they're facing even greater odds.

As for the talk about poor connection service of Sun, I too encountered connection difficulties with Globe. Globe was one of the first to quietly advocate a cap on broadband download usage to prevent network congestion, it seems. Years back, Globe also had that problem of network coverage when they were just starting out, just like Sun.

Sun is probably the Number 1 second-cellphone carrier of most users.  And the funny thing about Sun is that the people who started Sun and made them a feared Number 3 were ex-Globe Telecom managers !!!! 

I think Globe has what it takes to get their groove back but I am afraid they have to Re-learn how to listen and understand their loyal customers like 14 years ago, rather than complain about not having a level playing field.

As for me, I am just a 14-year old Globe subscriber that got his Iphone4 order cancelled without me being told about the cancellation.

I wish Apple USA would appoint another carrier, just like what Apple did when they appointed Vodafone amid I think complaints about how AT & T serviced Apple customers.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I just felt so bad about the whole incident. Like I do not matter to Globe.



UPDATE:  AUGUST 28, 2011

May I invite you to read a COMMENT that a reader posted below which is COMPLAINT too but of a different nature.  We all have read stories of eLoads getting lost for no apparent reason  ( usually blamed on a computer glitch or software magic) but this is the first time I heard that somebody in the telecom company is actively "stealing" loads.  If true, all the more the company (all telecoms for that matter)should investigate its misbehaving staff.

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you about the globe service. 2 years ago I had this problem that whenever i load 300 pesos on my prepaid account, globe send me this weird and out of this world ringtones. I called their rep, told them that i never applied for ringtones or whatever this audiofile might be. I disouted the amount charged to me and went on following the steps they gave me to disable the ringtone. But badly, when i load 300 again a more weird ringtone was sent and i was charged for that. Instead of the agent i asked for the manager. He was ride and really knows how to talk and spin things out. I was asking for a refund but he refused because he blame me for everything. He told me that i suscribed to that service thru text thats why i recieved ringtones. I told him that in any concious and subconcious state of my mind did i remember taking time subscribing to ringtones. I told him if he want to listen to the ringtone they sent me if they can call that product. He insisted that its my fault. i hanged up to save some pride. A few months later, i met a friend working in Globe as IT maintenance and he boasted how much load he got. Oh my, its 5-digit load. My eyes turned big and suprised because this was the first time i saw a prepaid load on that amount. Huge amount indeed. Then he reveals things and Wallah, i just found out how they tweak things and literally and unknowingly steal our precious money...

    you have a great day.. nice blog

    ReplyDelete

Use the Comment Section to request for further information when available or to let me know what you think of the above post. Thank You So Much.