Thursday, June 24, 2010

High-Speed Manila Public Buses Driven by Zombies????

If you think the Post Title is about a Sci-Fi story, think again. I can assure you it IS VERY REAL and HAPPENING EVERY DAY AS YOU TRAVEL ALONG MANILA's City Streets.

speeding public bus, richardjosephsiy

(I took the pic while seated behind the bus driver. The bus had to brake hard to avoid hitting the New Model Toyota Rav4 along EDSA opposite SM Annex Mall in Quezon City, north of Manila.)

There was this one time at about 11pm on my way home and we passengers all noticed that the bus was weaving left and right ever so slowly on the Expressway and we noticed that the driver's head has jerking up and down as the driver was fighting from falling asleep at the wheel.

Every day, I take a 2-hour ride from my home to my Lotto outlet north of Manila. Today, I took the same bus I always take and I was able to chat-up the conductor (the guy who issues the bus ticket) and I found out the following:

1. They make 3 round-trips a day (i.e. Laguna (a province south of Manila) to north of Manila and back)

2. Each round-trip takes about 6 to 8 hours depending on traffic or a total working hours on the road of about 22hours each day

3. On average, THE DRIVER AND CONDUCTOR SLEEP ONLY 1 TO 2 HOURS A DAY!!!!!

The driver and conductor need to do 3 or 4 trips to meet their QUOTA or risk losing their incentive allowance which is part of their daily pay. And that is the reason why drivers have to drive so fast to chase passengers and beat other buses doing the same thing.

It is so strange that everybody is concerned about the mechanical condition of the buses but nothing is said about the health conditions of the people driving the buses.

So, next time you see a bus speeding down your lane, do not attempt to maintain your right-of-way----- JUST GET OUT OF THE WAY AS THE HALF-DAZED DRIVER IS RUNNING AT BREAK-NECK SPEED TO MEET HIS QUOTA! ! !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use the Comment Section to request for further information when available or to let me know what you think of the above post. Thank You So Much.