Friday, June 18, 2010

Why Don't We Remember People while They are Still Alive

This morning, I visited my 1974 La Salle Greenhills High School classmate Raymund Ordonez (or Jojo to most of us) during his wake at the St. Jerome Church at the Alabang Town Center, Muntinlupa (south of Manila). It is a strange feeling because St Jerome is the same Church where I had my only child Stephanie baptized. One is at the End of Life. And another is at the Start of Life.

While at the wake, mounted were two pictures of Jojo and they seemed to be exactly how I remembered him 30 plus years ago. Jojo was tall and huge and I cannot help say that I felt intimidated by his presence but at the same time he had that wonderfully huge smile across his face.

I told his widowed wife that I wished I had met Jojo again when he was alive. It was while reading our HS Yahoo Group mails that I learned that Jojo worked at Mapfre, an International Non-Life Insurance Company, and wherein the freight forwarding company I once worked with had a lot of dealings. Mapfre insured our cargo of high-value Globe Telecom Prepaid cards and I had frequent dealings with them because we were always getting hijacked (robbed) of the cargo. Who would think that Jojo and I could have met during those times and who knows, could have done business with a fellow-classmate??


It is only when it is too late that we realize WE COULD HAVE. . . .

I told Jojo he is now on a different journey and while he is there, he will be looking after us. . . Am sure of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use the Comment Section to request for further information when available or to let me know what you think of the above post. Thank You So Much.